Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Unlikely Inspiration

I found myself drawn to Bob Dylan last week.  I can remember when I went through my Bob Dylan phase. It was in 7th grade.  I remember because I was on a class trip to Toronto, Canada and me and Mark B. listened to Bob Dylan the whole way.  I remember when Mark signed my high school year book he wrote, “Thanks for introducing me to Bob Dylan in the 7th grade.” 

I found myself drawn to a certain song, considered one of Dylan’s last big hits.  It was written after he became a Christian.  It was acclaimed by some and critiqued by others, like Lennon, who mocked Dylan’s song calling it “embarrassing.”   The song is called “Gotta Serve Somebody.”  It got me to thinking about Christian freedom.  As theologian David Lose notes, “We are all enslaved to something, the question is not are we, but to what.”  In the words of Dylan, “But you’re gonna, have to serve somebody, yes indeed.  You’re gonna have to serve somebody.  Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord. But you’re gonna have to serve somebody.

Dylan’s song became the inspiration for June 25th’s sermon.  Check it out at: http://www.christthekingcary.org/Home/WorshipAtimewithGod/Sermons.aspx.   

No comments:

Post a Comment