Friday, July 1, 2011

Sermon Writing

I am coming to the end of my longest run of sermon writing.  I have preached every week since mid-May and feared the amount of energy it would take to write something each week.  I was talking with a pastor who knows the demand of preaching every week.  I mentioned that I was worried and afraid I wouldn’t have anything original to say.  His response was compassionate and challenging, “You may not, but the Holy Spirit does.”  We talked about how with each sermon we have the opportunity to speak our words or God’s.  We can get on our soapbox or allow the scriptures to come alive.  I have not only learned the lessons of each sermon over the last two months, but the lesson of letting God speak and trusting that God still have things to say to God’s people—even through a vessel like me!

So join me for one of my two sermons this month.  Let us explore what Jesus means when he says, “Come to me all who are weary” in a sermon entitled “The Blessing of Being a Burden.”  God is speaking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment