Saturday, June 11, 2011

This Odd and Wondrous Calling (One)

It is an odd thing to be so comfortable with death.  I have preached two funerals this week.  One for a man who leaves a lot of wounds to be healed in his family, the other a woman who loved and showed graciousness even til the very end.  Most of the families in my congregation opt for cremation.  They bring us the ashes holding them a bit awkwardly.  This week, I have been able to take those ashes and lay them on a small wooden table, cover them with a white pall with a gold cross that lays over the center of the box.  Next to the ashes, I get to light the Paschal candle as a symbol that the life of these ashes are caught up in the story of God, the story of life, death and new life.  It is so beautiful to proclaim the assurance of everlasting life.  As I hugged grieving families, prayed for the Holy Spirit to surround them, and hoped for God's love to envelope them, I remembered why I love this calling--this odd, wonderful and beautiful calling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment