Saturday, March 3, 2012

Jonah Day

When I moved to Durham in August of 2005, I was quickly introduced to a family that would become, in many ways, my second family.  I was able to babysit Kayla from her first year of life until now.  I was able to watch Preston as a baby and now see him grow into an energetic young boy.  

My last night of babysitting for this family was bittersweet--although not the end.  The evening will forever be dubbed in my heart as Jonah Day!  You see, I arrived and Kayla said, "I am going to have friends over to do a Jonah play. Mom said you might have an idea on how to make a whale."  Sure. Thinking it was simply going to be a blue construction paper puppet.  No.  Kayla continued, "We have to be able to fit inside it."  Seriously? I know why your  mom said I would have an idea...she didn't want to do this! 

So we gathered up some supplies and started to make the teeth.  At one point Kayla said, "I hope this works. We have used a lot of mom's party supplies!"  Although the whale looks like Cookie Monster, they were so excited with the outcome.  They practiced getting inside.  After some acting out the story, the kids put on their "sea creature" pajamas, we snuggled in bed and read the Jonah Story.  Kayla marked, "Jonah Day" on her calendar.  Nothing quite the joy of homemade crafts, exuberant smiles and a full heart.  

Tada! 


Oh now!  The whale is eating my hand! 


God's Love and Mine, 
danielle kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment