Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Claire and Serbian Christmas



Claire & Serbian Christmas
Working for the church doesn’t afford many visits with my family during major holiday seasons.  2012 has started off a bit different.  I was able to drive to Ohio for the first week of January snuggling with my absolutely adorable niece Claire.  And the added bonus was getting to celebrate Serbian Christmas with my family.
  

And I don’t want to sound prideful but I am a baby whispherer!  Claire was fabulous with me, and ate, slept and smiled.

In addition to the heaps of time with Claire, our family got together for Serbian Christmas.  I love Serbian Christmas because it reminds me to keep celebrating Christmas for the whole twelve days.   Serbian Christmas always includes Cesnica.  It was named after an old Serbian word – čest, which means a part, because Christmas ritual includes the breaking of česnica. Cesnica is not cut with a knife, but the head of the house breaks it by hand and gives each member a piece. One family member who receives a piece with a coin, according to traditional belief, will have luck in the coming year. Česnica is eaten as bread with a Christmas meal and served on the table. I was able to make the Cesnica this year.  Yes, I know it is really tall but that is what happens when you make it in the a crockpot stone.   As I said to my family, roll with it!  

Momma and Matt

Daddy and Erin 
Me, Claire and Amy 

1 comment:

  1. I had fun at Serbian Christmas last year! Glad you got to visit with your family :)

    ReplyDelete