Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Moment at Camp with Middle School Boys


I have to admit. I don’t like Middle School boys. I feel like they are a foreign species that I just don’t get.  You will rarely find me volunteering to spend time with them and even less often seeking out opportunities for conversation with them.  This past Saturday, I traveled out to Camp Agape to hang out with out Middle Schoolers.  In my slightly changed position at Christ the King, I now am responsible for this lovely age group.  And so I set out to get to know them better.  And the boys didn’t surprise me.  They were laughing often to the side when instructions were given, they were playing with sticks and roughhousing. 

I joined our five MS boys at camp for an activity.  We were lined up along one-side a sand volley-ball court.  The court had been filled with small balls that were imaginary landmines.  There were blindfolds and the goal was to get across without stepping on a mine.  Me and this motley crew of MS boys took to the task.  They began to work together, to help each other across.  I am sad to report that I was the only that ran one of the kids into a landmine (Sorry, Stuart!).  I even allowed one of the 6th grade boys to give me instructions across the court as I was blindfolded.  The activity continued fairly calmly and was well executed by these boys. 

After finishing the challenge, the boys gathered on picnic tables and a discussion began.  The counselor asked, “How does this resemble life?”  The boys didn’t hesitate, “You learn who you can trust and whose voice to follow.”  “Landmines are part of life, you have to have people help you navigate them.”  Then the counselor asked, “What does this have to do with our relationship with God?”  And it is here I had my moment with MS boys.  First, one of the boys compared it to Avatar. I couldn’t follow the comparison because I am not well-versed in Avatar lingo.  The boys began to excitedly agree.  The another sixth grade boy added, “It is like faith. We don’t have proof that God exists.  We just have to trust.  We have to trust that God is hoping for us to cross our path—even with landmines in the way—that is what faith it, isn’t it?” 

And so I owe an apology to all the MS boys out there.  In the midst of my doubts, you showed me that God just as active in the mind of a MS boy as in this 29-year old minister.   I am not ready to sign-up to a lead a MS retreat yet but I am certainly looking forward to more play and conversation. 

God’s love and mine,
danielle kathrym 

No comments:

Post a Comment