Monday, August 15, 2011

Consecration Anniversary



Today is the two year anniversary of my consecration as a Diaconal Minister in the ELCA.
Many things from that day stick in my mind like my dad almost winning the lottery! (He was one number off.  To this day, if you ask him what he remembers it is that). 

My pastor from Washington, DC made the journey to Cary to remind me that God calls us to live out Micah 6:8 to love mercy, do justice and walk humbly with God everyday (regardless of whether or not we are professional ministers or not!) 

On my consecration day, my parents gifted me with a towel.  The symbol for diaconal ministers is a basin and towel. The towel I was given was used at my baptism.  In that moment, when God claimed me as God’s child, I was wrapped in that towel and prayers were offered that I would live into my calling as a child of God faithfully and with boldness.  On my consecration day, my parents gave me the towel and said this, “Danielle, in the waters of Baptism, you were claimed by God and marked with the cross of Christ forever. You were baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and then wrapped in this towel.  You were handed back to us as we promised to raise you in the faith.  We present you your baptismal towel as a reminder of your baptism and symbol of your unfolding life in Christ.  May you use this towel to dry feet, to dry tears and reflect the goodness of God in this world.”

Then Bishop Bolick and partners in ministry from around the state (and DC!) gathered around, laid on hands and gave me a charge:

Danielle Kathryn Kosanovich serve the needy, care for the sick, comfort the distressed, and, through words and actions, witness faithfully to God's love for all people. Cross every barrier that stands between the church and its ministry in the world. Seek out those places where the gospel of Jesus Christ meets the world's need. Empower, equip, and support all the baptized in the ministry of Jesus Christ. Lead us all in proclaiming the gospel in witness and service. And be of good courage, for God has called you, and your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

This was the image used on the front of the
bulletin cover at my consecration
Each day, I remember I strive to live into this calling, this purpose that is greater than me and one that cannot be accomplished on my own.  This calling is odd, wondrous and beautiful.  Thank you for all who have supported me and continue to support me on my journey!  And so begins another year! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Consecration Anniversary my dear diaconal sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete