Friday, May 20, 2011

Happy Birthday Day to My Momma!

My momma and my niece Eloise. 

My mom turned 60 today!

Normally I would be killed for revealing her age, but I can tell you that because it was announced all over her school today. So, it isn’t a secret, and she is beautifully embracing it…or at least trying to embrace it.   In honor her b-day, here are the top six things I have learned from my mom.

Six:  Don’t get too used to your picture on the fridge.  When grandbabies come on the scene, you don’t stand a chance of remaining on the front.  You might get moved to the side, but don’t hold your breath.  Although the fridge may run out of room for our expanding family, my mom’s heart won’t.  There is always love to give and share. 

Five:  Let your children dream.  I have wanted to be exactly four things in my life—Head Coach of the LA Raider, Chris Berman’s replacement on ESPN, a campaign manager, and minister.   My mom allowed me to explore them all trusting that one day I would “stumble into” a calling that made me delightfully happy. 

Four: Ironing is overrated.  Well, actually I learned this in reverse. My mom loves to iron and is constantly worried about my wrinkles.  She regularly says, “What will they think of the way I raised you with all those wrinkles?”  Mom, they think I’m great even though I haven’t owned or used an iron in over two years!  May your next twenty years be filled with way less ironing!

Three: Weird sayings.  I have learned since living in NC that I say things weird.  For example, since my mom runs the word next door together, I grew up thinking it was spelled nextstore.   Or for slippery, she taught me to say slippy—just learned last month that was made up. J

Two:  Grace.  My mom cares for all of us in our crazy family with grace.  She protects the dignity of those she loves even if it means sacrifice.  She makes space for redemption and offers it to us who are often so undeserving. 

One: When your baby needs you, you come.  After finding out about cancer, it was a mere 48hrs. later that my mom landed in NC to be with me as I began the healing process.  She let me cry,  and held my hand when I was terrified.  She asked hard questions that I wasn’t ready to ask, and those which I wasn’t ready to know the answer.  She removed and replaced gauze on my scarred and stitched arm.  She never let me believe, not even for one minute that I was alone.  When your baby needs you, you come.

I thank God for all the moments I have had with my mom.  She loves unconditionally and I am absolutely blessed to share in her journey and have her as a teacher and guide on mine.

Love you Momma!


1 comment: