Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Would the Stars Be Enough?

Today I had the opportunity to preach as part of our continuing Walk by Faith not Fear series at CTK.   The texts were the Abram and Mary being told that despite the most irrational of circumstances, they would have children and be blessings to future generations.  Abram was far from believing and then God does something miraculous…and shows him the stars. 

An excerpt from my sermon…

“When we walk in fear, we are held captive to anxiety that God can’t be trusted.   We hear things like God is healer, provider, sustainer and we wonder…will God be that for me? People living in fear don’t allow that possibility of yes to enter in. 

Yet people walking by faith are not afraid of who God can and will be in our lives.  They answer the question, “Can God be trusted?” with a yes, knowing that the yes will very likely unfold differently than they expect.  And they are very aware that the decision to trust God is not a one-time decision.  We make it over and over again each day in spoken and unspoken way. 

I think that is why God takes Abram to see the stars…because the stars will always be there as a reminder.  Abram doesn’t have to dig through the attic to find a memento that reminds him of “high-times” of his faith, Abram doesn’t have to rely solely on others reminding him, he can simply look up at the stars and be reminded of God’s plan, be reminded of God’s promises and be reminded that God can be trusted.   Even in the darkest night sky the promise of God’s love and faithfulness is present.

What are your stars?  What ways to does God remind you? Is it water—as it splashes on your face each morning and evening and fills your stomach throughout the day, does it remind you of God’s promise to you in baptism?  Is it in bread and wine taken together as a family of faith reminding you of God’s promise to be with us to the very end of the age, healing our sin-sick souls.  Perhaps it is a cross around your neck?

In my sermon, I talked about the ways that God overwhelms my fear and reminds me of grace. One of those ways is through the old hymn, “I love to tell the Story.”  A beautiful elderly woman in my congregation taught it to me and I look forward to the day when I will be able to see it with her for all eternity.  It is funny how much someone who is seventy years older than you can change your life so much.  I, beyond a shadow of a doubt, believe she (and that song!) are of the reasons I am serving in full-time ministry now.  Thank you Lucille Graham.  

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing. Thanks, I needed this today. With so much uncertainty looming in my life right now (Kasich is ruining my life, baby bringing happy but new changes and surprises) I needed to remember that God is in control. I love you!

    ReplyDelete