Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Howard Schultz Makes My List

Tonight when Cameron and I went to dinner, I declared, “If I could have coffee with five people in the world, Howard Schultz would be on the list.   Him and Joan of Arc.  I am still figuring out thee other slots.”

Cam’s response, with a bit of laughter, “Well, at least you know he could pay for the coffee.” 

Several months ago, Cam and I watched a CNBC Documentary on Schultz and Starbucks.  I am so intrigued by his commitment to coffee but also to making coffeehouses a place for community.  In many ways, he was describing what the church should be.  Even his new book subtitle has religious overtones.  Makes you think about the way that the church and the marketplace swap lingo and to what avail.

I am so looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of his new book Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its life Without Losing It’s Soul.  Check out this review: http://www.starbucksmelody.com/2011/03/20/book-review-onward-by-howard-schultz-scheduled-release-date-march-29-2011/

Lastly, I think I would get a long with Howard Schultz because this is what he admits about himself:  My tendency to let enthusiasm morph into impatience was a trait widely known throughout the company – generally appreciated, but occasionally a cause of frustration.” (Onward pg. 125).  I think that my co-workers might say the exact same thing about me!  Howard, I am looking forward to coffee someday.  I think you, me and Joan would have very interesting conversation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment