Monday, January 24, 2011

Warmer, Safer, Drier

This past weekend I had the privilege of traveling to Jonesville, Virginia and serving with the Appalachian Service Project. Here is what I learned:


  • I have the most level-headed roommate in the world.  I knew that Cameron generally keeps his cool in most situations.  In fact, I have only seen  him upset once since I have known him.  However, as we were driving up a giant hill on ice (with a cliff over to the right side) after 45 minutes of being lost (who would of thought there would be two Rt. 58s and two 647s in the same city!), we got stuck. I was screaming a little bit.  Cameron looks at me and says, “Danielle, I am gonna need you to stop screaming.  Handle this better.”  No anger. Just firm.  We ended up parking on the side of the road and carrying our bags up the hill.  The next morning we tried to move the truck and it went into a ditch.  Cam was cool as a cucumber than too… “They will get me out.”  Oh how I wish that I was so level headed. 

  • God can us the least likely to speak to you.  Our team was given three jobs: install a sliding door, put on new siding around the door and create a landing for a wheelchair ramp.  The home modifications were being done for George and Debbie.  Debbie has been confined to a wheelchair since she was 26.  George takes care of the house and Debbie.  I am always amazed how those who have so little to give, give anyway.  For lunch the second day, George made us homemade pineapple upside down cake.  It was wonderful to spend our lunch time eating with the family and hearing more of their story.   My favorite two parts were when we unveiled the door to Debbie.  She kept saying, “Oh my. Oh my.”  I can see outside from my chair.  Later when the landing was finished she talked about how when the ramp is done, her mom will be able to visit.  Right now there is no way for her to get into the house.  What a beautiful image of mother and daughter able to be together in the house together.  Listening to Debbie reminded me of the beauty of God’s creation (which she was so thankful she could see outside the door) and the importance of being with family. 
  • Laughter is good for the soul.  If you want to laugh and laugh, travel anywhere with Cameron Bowe and Scott Maxwell.  My favorite moments include: flyinq squirrels, giant rice crispie treats and christmas sweaters. 
  • I love the circular saw.  I am not trying to brag, but I am pretty amazing at it!  And I love the power it gives you J
God’s Love and Mine,
danielle kathryn 

No comments:

Post a Comment