Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Jeremiah 17

In my devotional time, I have been working through Jeremiah.  Set against the background of political disaster and immense human suffering that accompanied it, Jeremiah is still predominately a book about hope.  Today, as I sat at my desk enjoying a chai latte, I was struck by the wise commentary of Jeremiah.  Jeremiah offers that Israel is not feeling the weight of destruction for no reason.  No, they have trusted in human wisdom over God’s word.  They have “taken it into their own hands.”  It struck me that I do that so often thinking that I can be more effiecent or effective than the creator of the universe.  Yet, as Jeremiah shares, fruitfulness not comes from our human striving but in trusting in God.  “But blessed are those who trust in the LORD, whose confidence is in him.  They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.  It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.  It has not worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit” (Jeremiah 17:7-8). 

Heal me and I will be healed.
Save me and I will be saved. 
Often in my times of mediation, I try to capture the word of God in picture.  Here is my visual interpretation of Jeremiah 17.   

No comments:

Post a Comment